FOURTH SUMMIT OF THE STATE DIASPORA FOCAL POINT OFFICERS AND STANDING COMMITTEE ON DIASPORA MATTERS HELD ON TUESDAY 25TH OCTOBER, 2022 AT ABUJA.
ABIANS IN DIASPORA COMMISSION (ADCOM) presented her score card at the just concluded Summit of the Standing Committee on Diaspora Matters and The State Focal Point Officers, organized by the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM) and International Organization for Migration (IOM).
Participants at the summit reiterated the call on the need for stakeholders in Diaspora matters to reinforce networking and synergy among all as critical for the promotion of diaspora relations for national building. Declaring the summit open, the Chairman/Chief Executive Officer, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Dr. Abike Dabiri Erewa, said that for more service delivery towards galvanizing the relationship between Nigeria and its diaspora, the Commission needs to be strengthened, in terms of functionality and as independently as possible. She reiterates the need not to give up on diaspora voting, as other African Countries are fast adopting in their respective electoral processes. She challenged the diasporas to work together to boost and grow the nation, from the grassroot at various States to the Federal level, and thanked the IOM for their endless support in the affairs of migration and the diaspora in Nigeria. In his opening remarks, the representative of Chief of Missions for the IOM. Mr. Victor Lutenco, stressed the need for a robust development between Nigeria and the Nigerians in diaspora. Speaking further, Mr. Lutenco said that mechanisms and platforms for Nigerians abroad to invest into the nation’s economy should be made available, while the government should ensure adequate welfare for the diasporas and ensure their participation in electoral process.
Adding his voice, NiDCOM Secretary Engr. Dr. Yakubu Basi presented the overview of the Nation Diaspora Policy 2021 to guide the activities of NiDCOM, Standing Committee members and State focal point Officers on Diaspora Matters; As well as the need to operationalize the policy and hold regular meetings to provide the necessary synergy.
In her presentation, the Executive Secretary, Abians in Diaspora Commission (ADCOM), Dr. Mrs. Ngozi Ogbonna Erondu, outlined the various projects either executed or attracted by the Commission within the year under review. Dr Mrs Erondu, represented by Mrs. Nwakanma of the Abia Liaison Office, Abuja also projected for the coming year. Below is the full text of the presentation…
I am Dr. (Mrs.) Ngozi Ogbonna-Erondu, the Executive Secretary/CEO Abians in Diaspora Commission.
Greetings from His Excellency, Dr Okezie Ikpeazu, Executive Governor of Abia State. Most Diaspora friendly Governor in the nation and Unparalleled supporter of the State Diaspora office.
Let me acknowledge Hon (Mrs.) Abike Dabiri-Erewa, the CEO of NiDCOM and her staff for their Unequivocal support and guidance to the Abia State Diaspora office.
Thanks for the opportunity to share the activities and accomplishments of ADCOM.
ACTIVITIES & ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF ADCOM (2021/2022)
- Hosting of The First ever Abians in Diaspora Home-Coming/Summit on December, 30, 2021. The event provided the diasporans the opportunity to meet fellow Diasporans, as well as meet one on one, notable industrialist, SMEs Operators, that have been at the fore-front of the made in Aba Goods Campaign, being championed by His Excellency, Okezie Ikpeazu, Ph.D, The Executive Governor of Abia State. The event attracted potential investors and collaborators willing to invest in Abia State SMEs.
- Facilitated the establishment of the first and only pediatric hospital in the State- Abia State Children’s (Annamarrie Medical Centre,) Umuahia
- Acquisition of Land for the Abians in Diaspora Smart City Projects in Umuahia and Aba.
- World Health Organization (WHO) /Abia State intervention plan(multidisciplinary group Ministry of Environment, Health and Agriculture) MULTI MILLION NAIRA PROJECT.
- Attracted Sponsors from United Kingdom for grassroot sports program with Hon. Ikwuagwu
- Facilitated the procurement of five containers of Medical Equipment worth over 2.5million USD, and supplied through project CURE to Hospitals in Abia State
- Encouraged the supply of 2000 sanitary pads to schools.
- Empowerment of 30 petty traders and entrepreneurs in the three senatorial zones of Abia state.
- Collaboration with Abia SME Micro-finance Bank to empower Abia Entrepreneurs through Abia Diaspora investors
- Empowered Ten (10) indigent youths/Women, through the Ministry of SMEs POS empowerment programme.
- Facilitated the provision of Solar Powered Borehole and associated Equipment worth donated by Ngwa Daughters in USA at Abayi Ohanze.
- On-going Partnership with a Global Health institution in United States of America, for a Research project in PHCs and Public Health Education.
- Provision of Playground Equipment at Abia State Library, Umuahia.
- Engaged Potential sponsors from UK to repair the library in Umuahia.
- Facilitated the donation of PPEs by Abians in Diasporans and Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) to the State Isolation Centers.
- Facilitated the shipment and donation of medical books to the School of Nursing.
- Donated Laptops worth N500,000.00 to young Entrepreneurs.
- Training of Nurses from the Seventeen LGA of Abia State on Baby Breathing, CPR, BLS, capacity building.
- Facilitated and encouraged Diaspora sponsored Scholarship to Abia State University Students.
- Facilitated shipment of Library Books to Abia State University
- Donation of over 500 bag packs and 2500 pairs of made in aba sandals worth by Diasporans to Primary Schools in the State.
- Building up a working relationship with the Nigerian in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Abuja, International Organization for Migration (IOM), ETC.
- Creation of platforms for Social, Political and Economic Interactions with Abians in Diaspora.
- Publication of Abians in Diaspora Magazine, which will soon be launched.
- Working on a planned community to be called Abia Diaspora Village and other estates and commercial ventures with the potentials of generating over 2 billion naira to the state.
- Creating a Standard diasporan registry and actual profiling of all or most Abia diasporans.
- Hosting a Global standard website to showcase the Abians in Diaspora Smart City Project (ADSCP), showing real time before and after status, as well as interactive blogs and contact.
- Organizing and attending Conferences, Business fairs, (Locally and Internationally), to showcase the Abians in Diaspora Smart City Project (ADSCP), for prospective investors.
- Activation of the following core-units in ADCOM…
i. Diaspora Relations
ii. Inter-governmental/Interstate Coordination
iii. Public Communication/Media
- Ground-breaking Ceremony for Abians in Diaspora Smart City Project (ADSCP).
Those are just the highlights of some of our activities , as well as our projections in the coming year.
Finally, and once again, thanks to Dr Okezie Ikpeazu, our Executive Governor for the opportunity to serve. Dr. Abike Dabiri Erewa, Our Mama Diaspora for showing us the possibilities. IOM for making this summit possible again this year.
The exceptional staff at NiDCOM. We are very lucky to have you all.
Thank you all….
I wish you a fruitful deliberation and
safe trip back…
Chiemela Adiele Ulelu(Eld)